Friday, June 4, 2010

1st Hike of the year

The kids and I went with friends on our first hike of the year yesterday. For Reagan it was her first. We went and hiked Potter's Creek Trailhead and while we didn't go the whole 3.3 miles I think we probably went halfway so with coming back we got in the 3.3 miles anyway. My friend Amy had asked us to go with her and her kids and nieces what she neglected to say is that for the first 1/2 mile the trail goes straight up! Reagan and I brought up the tail end of the hikers for that portion. I wish I had gotten a picture to show you how steep it was, but I was too busy trying to keep up... Daniel however literally ran up the trail. Where oh where does he get that energy? I've got to figure out a way to siphon some of that off and maybe inject myself with it.
Hiking in Alaska is a bit interesting as you run the risk of running into
bears and moose. While the danger from a bear would seem immediately apparent a moose might not. But I am told that the moose are very likely to charge you and I've heard that a crash with a moose and a semi- the semi often looses. So I'm not particularly anxious to tangle with one. We didn't see any wildlife until we were safely in the car and driving back towards the marsh where there was a moose out feeding.
This is Daniel's "fishing" stick. It has some bark hanging off the end of it and he would use it to fish in the streams that we crossed. I loved the way he carried it and I just had to take a picture- stuck in the back of his coat in his hood. He carried the stick for a lot of the hike.
I wish I had pictures of the view which was incredible over Turnagain

Arm out over the mud flats, the ocean and over to the other side. I am reminded how grateful I am to be here in Alaska. We have the mountains, the ocean, the wildlife. It is SO gorgeous here. If it wasn't so cold (55 degrees yesterday) I would have thought I was some place tropical. It was so lush and green. Alaska isn't able to grow a lot of fruits as it isn't warm enough but they can grow berries. So I can't wait for a month or so until I can go hike and eat all the wild raspberries, blueberries and etc. I could see them growing a long the trail and my mouth was watering just thinking about them. I also found out on our hike yesterday that Alaska can grow all 3 kinds of cranberries and they grow wild. A helpful sign pointed them out and suggested for the "high" cranberries that were

growing there, that they be picked slightly before fully ripe and crushed with a mixture of rosehips for jelly. I am not a fan of cranberry jelly out of a can at Thanksgiving but I think I might have to try making some cranberry jelly this year just because I can!
I have to laugh at this picture of Reagan. She is throwing away a leaf. I am realizing that she is a lot like me in that she likes the outdoors, but hey the house is better unless it's a park. She also gets cold really easily, so all winter we would be out for 5 minutes and then have to come in as she was too cold. Daniel on the other hand would stay outdoors and NEVER come in given the opportunity. (We have to get into a house with a yard soon!)

Okay this is the stream that we stayed the longest and Daniel has a great
love of water. So it was no surprise that he fell in. You can see him going down. Amy was worried we should turn around but Daniel had no problem forging ahead. What's a little water. It was 55 degrees! :-)
Alaska is determined to take me- the consumate indoor person and make me into an outdoor person. I have always rather been indoors with a book or cooking but it is so gorgeous here and you feel so alive I just can't say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment