Friday, June 4, 2010

Garden # 1


I have 3 gardens- 1 on my balcony, 1 at the community gardens, and 1 at a friends house. Here is garden #1 on my balcony. It's my tomato garden. I have 8 of my tomato plants out there in Walls O Water. (I do have 4 more planted in the ground with Walls O Water- We'll see how they each do.) I was so excited to see my first blossom last night on one of the plants and it has about 20 more getting ready to pop open. Growing tomatoes here is problematic- Short growing season and not enough heat. My mother in law (Lois) uses Walls O water for her tomatoes in UT. (She can plant a week or 2 before us but has the same problem with late frosts.) So I started reading up on the Walls o Water and read that in places like Montana they just leave them on all summer due to it not getting really warm. It's like having their own personal greenhouse. So far it seems to be working. I've had the plants since the middle of April- I bought them early as they are cheaper then and probably by the first of May had them outside in the walls of water. I'm told that they grow best in a greenhouse here and everyone really discouraged trying it without one. But potted tomatoes were also supposed to do well and I want taco sauce, salsa, V-8 and several more things if I can figure out how to grow enough tomatoes so- Garden #1 was born.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! We had lovely blooms until a deer at the plant down to a nub. :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have seen those water things in stores here and wondered how they did. that is so great - i am like you... i love everything tomato.

    it is beautiful where you live - i can't wait to read more of your blog. i am so jealous

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a cool project--you'll have to keep us posted all summer! I saw the apartments in your picture and realized I envisioned Alaska like a wilderness with cabins :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. tomatoes! yogurt! There's nothing you can't do!

    ReplyDelete