Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fall Party-

We had a Fall party this weekend with the kids. They really enjoyed dressing up, and they say that necessity is the mother of all invention- I was amazed at what I could make with 1 pillowcase, 1 container of bias tape, a lot of hot glue, a box and a toilet paper roll could make. Reagan was easy for a costume, a princess and we already had the princess dresses. So it was simply making her a crown out of a hanger, ribbon, parts of left overs from my wedding dress, beads from a necklace and a couple flowers and buttons. Daniel however... Robin Hood was his costume. We only had the bow and arrows of his costume. So I set to work. I made him a shirt, a hat and a quiver for his arrows all from the items listed above. It was my first hat ever so I made a few mistakes and now know a little better how I would make it. But when your winging it... The quiver was probably the easiest. I just cut out a circle of cardboard and glued it to the bottom of the paper towel roll and then covered it with remnants of the pillowcase. Then I attached a sling to it made of bias tape. I used like5 or 6 sticks of hot glue on the whole thing. But I think I did a pretty good job and he looks like Robin Hood. And he now has a dress up outfit so maybe he'll stop wearing Reagan's princess dresses.
One of the things I really appreciated with this Alaska Kids party was that it wasn't a disguised Halloween party. So many times people say they are having a "Fall or Harvest Party" and really it's just another name for a Halloween party. I don't celebrate Halloween. I think it's a horrible holiday- If you want to find out more about it click here-(Halloween)and it will give you some idea of the origins of Halloween. I have chosen not to since I was a teenager. So it was very nice to enjoy fun food, good friends, beautiful if windy weather and just look at my beautiful Princess and handsome Robin Hood!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't medicine wonderful! I am glad that you found some meds that are working for Daniel.
    Good job on the costumes. Your kids look very cute!

    ReplyDelete